Foreign student who has charged with misdemeanor (shoplifting less than 200$) how it can be expunged?


I am foreign student with the special exchange program in the United States and I have charged with misdemeanor (shoplifting less than 200$). I didn’t to anything intentionally, I just had some items in a package. I paid for one of them and forgot to pay for second one.
I am still waiting for first appearance, I am destroyed with what happen to me, I can’t sleep, eat. I build my career more than 8 years and I was really successful even in international level and now I am losing everything.
I don’t know what to do. I am leaving the country after 35 days, I don’t have time to fight my case and also I don’t want anyone to know about it. That is why I can’t hire lawyer or even use public defender(I had some practice with them) and I rather die than will show them this situation.


The absolute best thing you can do for yourself and your future is to immediately hire a criminal defense attorney. An attorney will protect your rights and ensure that you get the best possible outcome for your case.

You have put in 8 years of hard work for your career. Don’t blow it by trying to handle the case by yourself. It is absolutely suicide. Further, look at the investment in an attorney as an investment in your future. A criminal conviction will follow you for the rest of your life and prevent you from getting jobs or being competitive with others who want the same job. If an attorney can prevent you for being convicted, that investment will be returned to you at least a thousand times over.

You state, “I don’t want anyone to know about it” Well, if you are convicted you will have to explain your conviction to employers and potential employers over and over again. Almost every employer in the United States does a background check and a criminal conviction for a misdemeanor will definitely show up on your record.

There are a couple of different options that would allow you to avoid a criminal conviction from ever going on your record.

I’d be more than happy to speak to you about your situation and possible outcomes. I offer free and confidential consultations.