I was charged with attempted theft for trying to steal a keyboard from school. I am dignosed with depression and because of this


Is there anyway to get it not charged? I need help asap cause its this Wednesday and I have no money to hire an attorney or a lawyer.


If you do not have the funds to hire a lawyer, immediately apply for the public defender to assist you. You should contact the Public Defender’s Office in your jurisdiction. So, for example, if the incident happened in Hennepin County, you should contact the Hennepin County Public Defender’s office.

It is important that you speak to a public defender before your court date – if possible. If it isn’t possible, speak to a public defender at your court date. Whatever you do, do not speak to the prosecutor about your case without legal representation and do not plead guilty without a lawyer.

Unfortunately, I have seen many many people plead guilty without lawyers so that “they can get it over with” and then the conviction follows them around for the rest of their lives.

So, in short, if you can’t afford a private attorney speak to the public defender right away so that he/she can assist you and explain all your options to you.