What should I do about the Minor in Possession that I just received?


I am a sophomore in college and over the weekend I received a Minor in Possession. The officers said that I have a court date in December and the paper says that if I pay the fine I automatically plead guilty. I’ve read that if you try to ask for diversion they may drop the charges in the future. I’m not sure what to do though, I don’t want one mistake to effect my college career or my hopes to get into law school.


I agree with my colleague. In any case where one is being charged with a crime, it is advisable to hire an attorney to advocate for you, to explain your rights and the court process, and to help you avoid a conviction. Bear in mind that the prosecutor is not there to help you. They have no obligation or duty to explain the effects of a conviction or your options. So if you can afford to hire a lawyer, it is highly advisable to do so. If you can not, you should seek the assistance of the public defender.

I have helped many many people avoid convictions. I’d be happy to discuss how I can help you too.