Expungement of a 3rd degree DWI received in February, 2001.


I got a 3rd degree DWI in February, 2001. I’m now finishing graduate school and knowing it will likely interfere with a job as a Nurse Practitioner. Is there any way to get it expunged? I have had a clean record since this date and hate having to list this.


Given your circumstances and your potential for a long and successful career, it may be worth your while to petition for a pardon. This is an entirely different remedy than expungement and it applies to almost any crime.

The Board of Pardons consists of the governor, the chief justice of the Supreme Court, and the attorney general. The board may grant pardons and reprieves and commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offense against the laws of the state of Minnesota. The statute that references pardons is section 638 of the Minnesota Statutes.

This is an extraordinary remedy; however, if I were in your position, I would try it. I would be happy to discuss this option with you further. You can reach me at 612-810-0060.

I can assist you in preparing the petition and filing the necessary documents. The process is long and the petitions are only reviewed every six months. So, if this is something that you may be considering, it is best to do it as soon as possible.